Harness the Power of the Moon – Astrologers, witches, and mystics alike can all agree on the power of the Moon. It’s one of the two luminaries in our sky (alongside the Sun) and an incredibly potent tool for manifestation and magic. The Moon rules over the subtle, subconscious, and intuitive aspects of the self, and its wax and wane reflect our own. When we align ourselves with the Moon, we’re tapping into an ancient energy current. One simple way to do this is by making Moon Water.
You can create Moon Water by leaving water outdoors to charge under the moonlight. Because the Moon affects the ocean’s tides, there’s already an energetic connection between the element of water and the Moon. When you add intention (and maybe a crystal or two), you can create a tool that can be used for everything from watering your plants to adding to your bath to cleansing your home.
How to Make Moon Water for Manifestation and Magic
To create Moon Water, you’ll need:
- A jar or container ( a mason jar or other clear glass jar, but any container like a jar, cup, or even Tupperware will do).
- Water (from the tap, from a bottle, from a river…just make sure it’s safe to drink if you plan on doing so!).
- A label to date your Moon Water and note which sign and phase the Moon is in (like Full Moon in Libra, April 6, 2023).
- Water-safe crystals, like rose quartz, clear quartz, or amethyst (optional).
- Cleansing herbs, like mugwort (ruled by the Moon), lavender (for relaxation and healing), rosemary (for protection), or sweetgrass (for positive energy) (optional).
- A lighter and bowl to burn the herbs (optional).
- An intention to focus on, such as peace, love, or acceptance (optional).
Moon Water is traditionally charged at night under the light of the Full Moon, when lunar energy is at its most potent and we’re easily able to connect to our intuition. You can also make Moon Water during a Gibbous Moon, when the Moon is almost full. One caveat: Never make Moon Water during an eclipse—eclipse energy overpowers lunar energy, so it’s not a good time to do this kind of work.
Whichever lunar phase you choose, check which zodiac sign the Moon is in, because this will affect the energy of the water. For example, Moon Water charged under a Full Moon in Taurus, ruled by Venus, will encourage love and pleasure, while Moon Water charged under a Full Moon in Gemini, ruled by Mercury, can help you claim your voice.
If you’re using any of the following, begin by cleansing your jar or container with smoke from your herbs, sticking on your label, and adding crystals to your jar. Then add your water. Place the jar somewhere outside (Or if you don’t have access to the outdoors, then on a windowsill) so it can absorb the Moon’s energy—even if you can’t see the Full Moon, the water will still charge.
If you’d like, you can take a moment to meditate: Hold your palms over the water and picture the lunar energy moving through the crown of your head, down your spine and arms, through your body, and out of your palms into the water. As you do so, focus on the intention you’re setting, then thank the universe for letting you connect with the cosmos. Finally, leave the water to charge overnight. In the morning, you’ll have Moon Water!
How Does Moon Water Work?
Moon Water works for a couple of reasons—the first is because of the nature of the element of water. Energetically, water is receptive. It holds the energy or intention of whatever it’s imbued with. And in the case of Moon Water, the water acts as a psychic sponge, holding on to the energy the Moon is disseminating from the cosmos into our world. In this way, the water becomes a sort of talisman, holding on to the planetary energy of the Moon for use in future spells or rituals.
The vibration or energy of the Moon Water you charge will be dependent on the sign the Moon is in as well as the phase. Because the Moon is at its strongest, most vibrant and potent manifestation during the Full Moon, this is the time that Moon Water is usually created.
How to set an intention
While it’s never a bad idea to make Moon Water for a general purpose (like for tapping into lunar energy), it can also be used more specifically to align with a specific intention. Before you choose your intention, look up whatever sign the Moon is in during the time when you want to charge it. Read about this energy of this zodiac sign. So the Full Moon in Libra would be great for an intention about love magick because Libra is ruled by Venus, planet of love. On the other hand, a Full Moon in Capricorn (ruled by Saturn, planet of structure and restrictions) would be better for an intention around helping you assert your boundaries.
Once you’ve figured out what sort of intention aligns with the lunar phase you’re working with, get clear on said intention, writing it down in the present tense (since this tells the universe this intention is already yours and not something that’s going to happen in the future). I always add, “This or something better, for the highest good of all involved,” at the end of my intentions, just to make sure I’m still open to the possibilities of the universe.
Once you’ve made your Moon Water, read your intention out loud and then hold your palms over the water once again. Charge your Moon Water by visualizing silver lunar energy moving through the crown of your head, down your spine, through your body, down your arms, out your palms into the water. Continue to visualize this energy pouring into the water, until you feel the water is charged and glowing silver with your intention. Then voilà, you have charged Moon Water!
How to use
Okay, so you made your Moon Water. Now what do you do with it? Lucky you, there are many options:
- Use it to clean your altar, sacred space, crystals, or any ritual tools.
- Add it to a ritual bath.
- Use it to cleanse your floor (yep, you can just add it to your floor cleaner!).
- Dip your brushes in it when you paint.
- Use it to water your plants.
- Create a fragrant room spray by adding essential oils and alcohol.
- Use it in your essential oil diffuser.
- Drink it so you can absorb it into your body.
- Use it to anoint your body, as a way of energetically cleansing yourself.
- Use your Moon Water to make tea. Add herbs or herbal tea that corresponds with your intentions—like lavender for healing, mugwort for psychic messages, or rose for love, then enjoy the ritual of sipping this! BTW: Make sure you use drinking water for this!
- Sprinkle Moon Water in the corners of your space and invite the Moon’s energy to cleanse and clear your home of any negativity or stagnancy.
- Use your Moon Water as an offering to any deities associated with the Moon or water, like Isis, Diana, or Venus.
- Use Moon Water as an offering to your ancestors, as a portal for them to connect to you.
How to use for Manifestation
You can use Moon Water for manifestation by charging it with your intention and drinking it, or by using it in a spell like a honey jar spell, or in a ritual bath. Follow the same steps as above to set your intention with the Moon Water, writing it down in the present tense.
After you create your Moon Water, you can drink it to absorb the energy back into yourself, or you can pour it in a bath and add herbs that correspond to what you’re manifesting (like roses for love, mint for money, or eucalyptus for cleansing and healing).
How to use in your beauty routine
The best part about Moon Water is that you can get creative with how you use it. Use it to wash your face and ask for the blessings of the Moon as you do so. (Again, if you’re going to use Moon Water in your skincare routine, make sure you’re not using potable water and not river or ocean water!)
Beauty is cyclical and ever evolving, and so is the Moon. If you have any water-activated beauty products, you can also use some of the Moon Water to work with them. BTW, you can also make a face spray with your Moon Water, but you may wish to use distilled water for this – you can use organic rose petals and your (distilled!) Moon Water for a facial toner, blessed by the Moon herself.
And if you think of another use, go for it. Get creative and let the magick of the Moon and your heart guide you. As witches say, and so it is!