These days our lifestyle puts us under a lot of stress. Constant rushing, financial worries, crushing deadlines… It all adds up and can have a damaging impact on our health and wellbeing. According to World Health Organisation, stress is number one cause of illness worldwide. Why? Because stress lowers our immune system.
This is why it is so important to keep our stress levels as low as possible. There are many ways how to achieve that. Here are a few simple tips that might help you to de-stress on a daily basis.
- Breathe – When we are stressed or under pressure, it is important to breathe correctly, so that your body can relax. Unfortunately most adults breathe in a way that creates even more stress and tension in our body. Most common ways are over-breathing, chest breathing and holding your breath. Proper breathing is to breathe with your diaphragm. There are several diaphragm breathing exercises and techniques that you can do. This will help you to use your diaphragm correctly.!!!Always talk to your doctor before starting any breathing exercises, especially if you have any medical conditions that have an effect on your breathing or if you are on any medications.!!!Diaphragm breathing exercise in a chair
- Sit in a comfortable position with your knees bent.
- Relax your shoulders, head, and neck.
- Put one hand on your upper chest and the other below your rib cage so you can feel the movement of your diaphragm.
- Inhale slowly through your nose so that your stomach presses against your hand.
- Keep the hand on your chest as still as possible.
- Engage your abdominal muscles as you exhale through pursed lips, keeping the hand on your upper chest still.
- Continue breathing like this for the duration of your exercise session. (healthline, 2020)
- Grounding – Whenever we feel stressed, overwhelmed or anxious this is a good practice that may help you reduce your stress levels quickly. This technique is the most effective if we can practice it outdoors. If outdoors, take your shoes off and place your bare soles on the ground (grass, sand, ocean). While standing on the ground, breathe deeply into your feet. Imagine your breath going all the way down into your feet and through your soles into the ground. Feel how the stress and tension is leaving your body through your soles and is being absorbed and neutralised by Mother Earth. Place your attention to your soles and toes and breathe for a few minutes.
- Protect your energy – One of the most common and effective ways to protect and shield your energy is wearing protective crystals. Some of the most powerful ones are: Black Tourmaline, Obsidian, Labradorite, Amethyst, Shungite and Smoky Quartz. These crystals need regular cleansing as they do absorb the energy from the environment. In order to get the most benefits from them, smudge them with White Sage smudge stick or Palo Santo wood at least once per week and place them out under the Full Moon every month to be cleansed and recharged.
- Cleanse your energy field – This should be a daily routine. Especially if we are out and working with people. By cleansing our energy, our aura, we remove the imprints and cords that are draining our energy and vitality. There are various techniques of energy cleansing. One of most simple ones is by smudging our aura with White Sage smudge stick or Palo Santo Wood.
- Take a relaxing bath – Epsom salt bath is one of the most known ones for detox and stress relief. Many people also love to add pure essential oils into their bath water. It is important to always to a skin patch test, before using essential oils. Some of the most popular essential oils that promote relaxation used in a bath are:
- Lavender: promotes mind and body relaxation
- Peppermint: a couple drops in a bath may increase energy levels
- Orange: helps relieving mild stress and it may help improve mood.
- Exercise – Virtually any form of exercise can act as a stress reliever. You can do yoga, go to the gym, run or walk, they are all beneficial for our wellbeing.
- Nature – Go outside and get some fresh air and sun rays (check sunsmart guidelines), connect with plants, animals, ocean…. Breathe and relax.
- Meditation – It can wipe away the tension and stress and bring inner peace. It is most effective when practiced daily.